International Standard Bible EncyclopediaSTALK
stok: In Genesis 41:5, 22 is for qaneh, "cane"; in Joshua 2:6 for ets, "wood." In Hosea 8:7, the Revised Version margin has "stalk" for qamah, "that which stands." The Revised Version's "standing grain" is due to this meaning of qamah in Exodus 22:6, etc., but this translation spoils the figure. The meaning is, "They sow the wind, a worthless sowing, for such seed produces no stalk, it yields no grain."
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
) The stem or main axis of a plant; as, a stalk of wheat, rye, or oats; the stalks of maize or hemp.
2. (n.) The petiole, pedicel, or peduncle, of a plant.
3. (n.) That which resembles the stalk of a plant, as the stem of a quill.
4. (n.) An ornament in the Corinthian capital resembling the stalk of a plant, from which the volutes and helices spring.
5. (n.) One of the two upright pieces of a ladder.
6. (n.) A stem or peduncle, as of certain barnacles and crinoids.
7. (n.) The narrow basal portion of the abdomen of a hymenopterous insect.
8. (n.) The peduncle of the eyes of Decapod crustaceans.
9. (n.) An iron bar with projections inserted in a core to strengthen it; a core arbor.
10. (v. i.) To walk slowly and cautiously; to walk in a stealthy, noiseless manner; -- sometimes used with a reflexive pronoun.
11. (v. i.) To walk behind something as a screen, for the purpose of approaching game; to proceed under clover.
12. (v. i.) To walk with high and proud steps; usually implying the affectation of dignity, and indicating dislike. The word is used, however, especially by the poets, to express dignity of step.
13. (v. t.) To approach under cover of a screen, or by stealth, for the purpose of killing, as game.
14. (n.) A high, proud, stately step or walk.
Strong's Hebrew7070. qaneh -- a stalk, reed...
qaneh. 7071 >>. a stalk
, reed. Transliteration: qaneh Phonetic Spelling: (kaw-neh')
Short Definition: branches. ...
balance, bone, branch, cane, reed, spearman, stalk ... /hebrew/7070.htm - 6k
5577. sansin -- fruit stalk (of the date)
... << 5576, 5577. sansin. 5578 >>. fruit stalk (of the date). Transliteration: sansin
Phonetic Spelling: (san-seen') Short Definition: stalks. ...
/hebrew/5577.htm - 5k
7054. qamah -- standing grain
... standing corn, grown up, stalk. Feminine of active participle of quwm; something
that rises, ie A stalk of grain -- (standing) corn, grown up, stalk. ...
/hebrew/7054.htm - 6k
6086. ets -- tree, trees, wood
... wooden (6). carpenter, gallows, helve, pine, plank, staff, stalk, stick,.
From atsah; a tree (from its firmness); hence, wood (plural ...
/hebrew/6086.htm - 6k