International Standard Bible EncyclopediaSTIR, STIR UP
stur: Used transitively and intransitively to indicate inner, concentrated movement; translates a number of Hebrew and Greek verbs, each of which has its different shade of meaning. Thus, e.g. in Psalm 39:2, we have `akhar, "to be troubled," "excited"; in Songs 2:7, `ur, "to awake," "disturb" (by the festal dances and songs). In 2 Timothy 1:6, it stands for Greek anazopureo, used of the resuscitation of a flame; in 2 Peter 1:13; 2 Peter 3:1, Greek diegeiro, "to awaken from sleep or stupor"; in Acts 21:27, Greek sugcheo, "to commingle," vividly portraying the confusion and tumult that resulted; in Acts 13:50, Greek parotruno, "to urge on"; Acts 17:13, Greek saleuo, "to shake to and fro."
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
) Aloft; on high; in a direction contrary to that of gravity; toward or in a higher place or position; above; -- the opposite of down.
2. (adv.) From a lower to a higher position, literally or figuratively; as, from a recumbent or sitting position; from the mouth, toward the source, of a river; from a dependent or inferior condition; from concealment; from younger age; from a quiet state, or the like; -- used with verbs of motion expressed or implied.
3. (adv.) In a higher place or position, literally or figuratively; in the state of having arisen; in an upright, or nearly upright, position; standing; mounted on a horse; in a condition of elevation, prominence, advance, proficiency, excitement, insurrection, or the like; -- used with verbs of rest, situation, condition, and the like; as, to be up on a hill; the lid of the box was up; prices are up.
4. (adv.) To or in a position of equal advance or equality; not short of, back of, less advanced than, away from, or the like; -- usually followed by to or with; as, to be up to the chin in water; to come up with one's companions; to come up with the enemy; to live up to engagements.
5. (adv.) To or in a state of completion; completely; wholly; quite; as, in the phrases to eat up; to drink up; to burn up; to sum up; etc.; to shut up the eyes or the mouth; to sew up a rent.
6. (adv.) Aside, so as not to be in use; as, to lay up riches; put up your weapons.
7. (prep.) From a lower to a higher place on, upon, or along; at a higher situation upon; at the top of.
8. (prep.) From the coast towards the interior of, as a country; from the mouth towards the source of, as a stream; as, to journey up the country; to sail up the Hudson.
9. (prep.) Upon.
10. (n.) The state of being up or above; a state of elevation, prosperity, or the like; -- rarely occurring except in the phrase ups and downs.
11. (a.) Inclining up; tending or going up; upward; as, an up look; an up grade; the up train.
Strong's Hebrew5927. alah -- to go up, ascend, climb...
<< 5926, 5927. alah. 5928 >>. to go up
, ascend, climb. Transliteration: alah Phonetic
Spelling: (aw-law') Short Definition: went. Word Origin a prim. ... /hebrew/5927.htm - 8k
6965. qum -- to arise, stand up, stand
... << 6964, 6965. qum. 6966 >>. to arise, stand up, stand. Transliteration: qum Phonetic
Spelling: (koom) Short Definition: arose. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/6965.htm - 7k
5549. salal -- to lift up, cast up
... << 5548, 5549. salal. 5550 >>. to lift up, cast up. Transliteration: salal Phonetic
Spelling: (saw-lal') Short Definition: build. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/5549.htm - 6k
5640. satham -- to stop up, shut up, keep close
... satham or satham. 5641 >>. to stop up, shut up, keep close. Transliteration: satham
or satham Phonetic Spelling: (saw-tham') Short Definition: stopped. ...
/hebrew/5640.htm - 6k
686. atsar -- to lay up, store up
... << 685, 686. atsar. 687 >>. to lay up, store up. Transliteration: atsar Phonetic
Spelling: (aw-tsar') Short Definition: store. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/686.htm - 6k
5428. nathash -- to pull or pluck up, root out
... nathash. 5429 >>. to pull or pluck up, root out. Transliteration: nathash Phonetic
Spelling: (naw-thash') Short Definition: uproot. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/5428.htm - 6k
1443. gadar -- to wall up or off, to build a wall
... << 1442, 1443. gadar. 1444 >>. to wall up or off, to build a wall. Transliteration:
gadar Phonetic Spelling: (gaw-dar') Short Definition: build. Word Origin a prim ...
/hebrew/1443.htm - 6k
1104. bala -- to swallow down, swallow up, engulf
... bala. 1105 >>. to swallow down, swallow up, engulf. Transliteration: bala Phonetic
Spelling: (baw-lah') Short Definition: swallowed. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/1104.htm - 6k
1431. gadal -- to grow up, become great
... << 1430b, 1431. gadal. 1432 >>. to grow up, become great. Transliteration: gadal
Phonetic Spelling: (gaw-dal') Short Definition: grew. Word Origin a prim. ...
/hebrew/1431.htm - 7k
6131. aqar -- to pluck or root up
... << 6130, 6131. aqar. 6132 >>. to pluck or root up. Transliteration: aqar Phonetic
Spelling: (aw-kar') Short Definition: uproot. ... dig down, pluck up, root up. ...
/hebrew/6131.htm - 6k